Oct 7, 2008

Channeling my Roots...

I guess the upcoming Atlanta Scandinavian Festival has stirred up a fascination with my Swedish roots. Sadly, I'll be out of town and I'm going to miss the event, I was hoping to snag my first dala horse to start a collection!!



I've always been in love with these bright orange horses, the bold patterns and flowers they are decorated with. My grandmother has several pieces scattered around her house, even sweet little Swedish decorated coffee mugs. It all reminds me of my great grandfather Carl, he lived to be 103! I remember visiting him in Kansas for his 100th birthday. He was wearing a sweet little red scarf and nibbling on ginger cookies. He told us he thought he had died that day because he woke up to a bright light, he thought it was Jesus coming for him, however it happened he had left his curtains open that night and he was awakened by the bright sun shining in his face... :)




I recently stumbled upon some beautiful Swedish Monk's cloth embroidery patterns that have really inspired me! These patterns are so cool, I would love to make some of my own using different materials and cranking the color up a few notches to some neon hues!

1 comment:

Rickelle said...

oh i should check this out! my company used to be swedish and my manager is swedish...